Swift Pay As You Go
The cashless way to travel. Simply load credit to your card to buy single, return and day tickets on the bus and tram.
No more hassle finding the exact change, just ask your bus or tram driver for your ticket when you board. With most bus operators accepting Pay As You Go and offering a discount, as well as discounted fares on Midland Metro, if you pay cash on the bus or tram then switch today to start saving.
It's perfect for part time workers or those who travel less often. It’s also a great option for kids as it takes away the worry of them not having enough money to get home, and you can still use a 16-18 photocard to buy child fares. You can also share your Pay As You Go credit with family and friends who can use your card when you're not.
Once you've spent your initial £10 credit, you can keep topping the card up with between £10 and £50 using our handy click and collect service, your local Travel Centre or over 250 Payzone outlet.
For a truly smart experience turn on Auto Top-Up. By using your online account linked to a bank card we can keep your card ready to use. When your credit reaches £10 or less, the card reader on the bus will automatically top it up with £20, £30 or £40 – whichever amount you choose.
You can find out more about our range of handy day tickets and the discount with Pay As You Go here.
To find out if your bus operator accepts Pay As You Go, click here and select their name from the list.
Peak travel allowed
Some Travel Cards must be used in conjunction with a Photocard which can be obtained when purchasing your ticket.
Off Peak covers travel from 09.30 to 15.29 and then from 18.00 to the end of normal daytime service Monday to Friday and all day weekends and Bank Holidays.
Where to buy
Click on the 'Buy on Swift card' button to buy online
Conditions of use
Conditions of use. Travel is subject to the published terms and conditions relating to Bus and Metro operators' services and facilities, which are available for inspection at head offices of the appropriate companies. The following additional conditions also apply:-
1. Pay-As-You-Go credit must be loaded with a minimum of £10 credit and a maximum of £50 each time the Customer tops-up.
2. A SWIFT Card loaded with Pay-As-You-Go credit is transferable for separate journeys but cannot be used by more than one Customer on the same journey.
3. The Swift Card must be presented to and placed on the electronic reader at the time of travel and the fare for the journey or cost of a ticket will be deducted from the Pay-As-You-Go credit.
4. By placing the Swift Card on the electronic reader, the Customer authorises West Midlands Combined Authority to debit the Customer’s Pay-As-You-Go credit by an amount equivalent to the monetary value of the journey or ticket. A ticket receipt may be produced for this transaction which may be required to be presented for any onward travel.
5. The Customer must have enough Pay-As-You-Go credit on the Swift Card to cover the cost of a journey. Pay-As-You-Go credit cannot be used in partial payment with cash for any journey.
6. A message will appear or a verbal instruction will be provided if the Swift Card does not read for any reason or it does not hold sufficient credit to cover the journey. Swift Cards that do not read or do not have sufficient credit will not be accepted and a charge for the journey will be applicable.
7. This product does not give priority over other passengers.
8. This product remains the property of West Midlands Combined Authority, 16 Summer Lane, Birmingham, B19 3SD and may be withdrawn by the Operator or West Midlands Combined Authority, if misused.
9. This product will be rendered invalid if altered, mutilated or defaced.
Buy on Swift card